Wednesday 29 August 2012

Shaina Cilimberg

Author of: Crowded (Deep River High Series)



Book blurb:

Cole Martin is trying to live for God, even though he made a mistake that costs Emily Davis and her parents' trust in him. Now, he is making every attempt he can to win her back. Josh Summers, the new boy with a dark past, also has his sights set on Emily who seems to enjoy the flirtation.

As an introduction, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am 24 years old.  I took some creative writing and journalism classes as a teen and am almost halfway through community college.  I can be a brat and pretty snarky. Otherwise, I'm extremely nice, loyal and caring. No, I'm not bipolar.

What is your book about?

It's about love, friendship, post-abortion syndrome in boys, male bulimia, guilt, nightmares, God, forgiveness and abuse.

When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing at 11, when I was penpals with an aunt. It seemed like fun to write my own stories. It grew into a way to bring my readers to or closer to God. I really enjoy the characters.

What genre do you prefer to write in?

Teen.

What is your biggest writing achievement to date?

4-5 star ratings on "Crowded"

What inspired you to write this book?

Melody Carlson, Robert Liparulo, One life to Live, personal experiences, how I would react or hope someone would react in a certain situation, my love for teens and younger (though it may not be suitable for under 14), stuff I hear or read about going on in this world, my hope that their are some guys out there who have remorse for their mistakes and it's not just fictional men, Beastly, Narnia.

Who is your favourite author, and what is it about their work that strikes a chord with you?

Melody Carlson and Robert Liparulo. They make you feel you are the character or at least make you see things from another's perspective. Robert writes in a way that has action and adventure and isn't cheesy. Melody has relateable characters, for the most part.

What book are you reading now, and would you recommend it?

My textbooks for history and speech communication class. Well, I have to say they are the best of the schoolbooks I've read in college. :)

What are your current projects?

I am working on the second book in the series. It's about a school shooting.

Where and when do you do most of your writing?

In my room, any time of the day.

Who designed your book cover – and was the cover something you deemed important?

Jeanette Raliegh. I think it is. I didn't want a male with a crewcut for my Christian book cover because guys can have shoulder length hair and it still be short. I don't like Karen Kingsbury's writing for that reason. She seems to think it has to be super short to be short and I can't enjoy a book where all the guys have their hair shaved into a buzzcut or crewcut. I asked a boy  if I could put him on the cover and he agreed.

Did you try to go down the route of traditional publishing first – or did you feel that self-publishing was right for you from the beginning?

Yes, I did. Self-publishing is much better. Have your own rules, almost.

Where can we buy the book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HB1J7A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_g351_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=12SQHFMEX9GBAZY6MME1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Do you have a website or blog where we can keep tabs on you?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Deep-River-High-Series/226787394036230
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cole-Martin/339426896068200
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lydia-Summers/272553136133427
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emily-Davis/297022117001365
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Josh-Summers/211513475579006
http://jesusfreak-ponderingsofanamusedwriter.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/longhairrox

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Just don't go with every opinion you get on your stories and look out for cyber bullies. If it sounds like good advice, go with it. If it makes you depressed, nervous or irritated ignore what they say.

And, finally, do you have anything else that you’d like to say to everyone?

Jesus loves you. Keep writing.  Listen to awesome music and be on the look out for inspiration. Try to look for the good in others and have empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment